Sunday, July 19, 2015

Peas and Other Pleasures



What a beautiful weekend! 

I have a new view of the garden to show you.  Yeah!  The corn stood itself back up!  Everything is really flourishing out there.  We are getting a handful of raspberries from the new planting and today picked the first ripe tomato, a Sungold cherry.  Kori is visiting today, and she got the pleasure of eating it.
 
Kori took this photo with her phone... maybe should have added a pea to complete the smiley face!

It’s not all good of course.   There is a nasty little black bug eating up my Chinese cabbage and arugula.  Fortunately, it’s not eating the kale, so it’s not too much of a bother. 

You know, I’ve heard the comment on more than one occasion when someone looks at the garden.  “That’s a lot of work”.  I was thinking about that while I was picking peas today.  Here I am, enjoying the warm sun, listening to the birds and the wind whispering through the corn, enjoying a pea snack now and then… work? Hardly.  Work is what I do in my office.  What goes on in my garden is just living.

There are roses in three corners of the garden.  This one is Blanc Double de Coubert.  All of the roses are very fragrant but this one is my favorite.  Earlier in the season the bugs eat the blossoms up, but they seem to be leaving it alone now.  It’s tucked away in the far NE corner, so it’s really just there for me to enjoy.

I’ll finish up with a couple of critter pictures.  This one of Boy Pig is not very clear but I caught him on the run with his wattles flying and I think it’s kind of funny.

Javier has been such a good bird for me.  He’s pretty old for a chicken and is starting to have some leg problems so I don’t know how much longer he will be with us.  He will be a tough act to follow for the next rooster. 

I guess that’s it for today.  Thanks for stopping by.  Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment