Sunday, April 19, 2020

Little Goat Hijinks - or High Jinks

Gotta love spring and little goats! 

Thursday morning chores - 5:30 AM.  When we arrived in the barn with the milk pails, etc., the does were coming in from outside - why were they outside anyway?  Vinca was being gamey and went right back outside.  Fine - Echo first then.  She hopped up on the stand and I looked for Briar - just days old - he was no where to be seen in the barn!  I poked my head out the little goat door - Vinca, Dahlia, no Briar in sight.  Only a little concerned at first, I went through to outside and shined my light around.  No Briar, no little kid sounds, nothing.  I started walking the pasture area, shining my light and Kevin joined me.  We looked and looked - just before my breakdown point Kevin said - "well he's right here!"   We have no idea where he had been - is he just that well camouflaged? 

Sometimes the kids come out to play at milking time - this day they ventured over to visit with Poppy and Tamarack.


Poppy apparently decided she would like to visit a little more - somehow she got out of her pen and in with the does and kids.  She has some impressive jumping skills I think.  We decided to let her stay and brought Tamarack over too.

All the goats enjoyed a little outdoor time today.   Poppy shows the little ones how tasty pine boughs are:


In the poultry department, Kevin caught a cute picture of Peanut and one of her poults. (Just pretend you don't see the poo in this photo!)  We haven't let her out yet because when we do she will likely not return to the coop at night and it has been too cold.  Pretty soon though.


We successfully moved this broody hen to the summer coop so we'll have chicks in three weeks.


It's a strange time we are all going through outside of the farm, but here at home life goes on!

Until next time, be well friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment