Monday, May 4, 2020

A Tale of Two Turkeys

I have a story to tell this evening but will do so without (much) embellishment due to the list of other things I need to accomplish before bedtime.

It was an evening early last week - I was wrapping up a phone call with Aunt Virgie when I looked through the kitchen window. There in the driveway was a turkey hen.  Not an unusual sight around here, except it was not Peanut the Royal Palm.  I exclaimed to my aunt that there was a turkey in the driveway, about 30 feet or so from the house! We concluded our call and I grabbed up my phone.  Naturally the sharp eyed hen spotted me and headed back up the driveway.  I ran upstairs to the living room and counted five hens just east of the house - along with a puffed up tom.  I thought it was Big Tom (our Tom) but upon a second look, no - that's a wild one! 


Of course I was noticed again and the turkeys headed south toward the little pond and the field beyond.  I went back to the kitchen but noticed out the south window that they seemed to be circling around.  I had an idea that I might sneak out the front, quietly come around to the back of the house and catch a picture before they were gone.  What I found was a barnyard battle - turkey style!

Big Tom and Wild Tom where having a chest pumping, trash gobbling bout.  I tried to snap a photo and then thought I had better break it up before someone got hurt - Wild Tom was a bit bigger than Big Tom.  Wild Tom was soon running for the woods after his hens, and fortunately Big Tom stayed home, no doubt to brag about this to Peanut for days to come!

That's about it for this week's update.  I tried unsuccessfully to get a good photo of Briar - he's just kind of camera shy, unlike Dahlia who poses at every opportunity like the princess she is!  



The guys have been doing their soil work - here is Rollie dragging before oats are planted.

And I want to share this little turtle - tiny really, that Kori and I ran across on Saturday.  I had to see my girl so we went for a walk near her place in Brainerd.  This little guy was about the size of a quarter!  It is a painted turtle we think. 

Anyway, until next time (should be next week)  be well friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment