Sunday, November 13, 2016

Another Hunting Update

Jobs and farm chores do go on, even in hunting season!  I have just a few random thoughts before Kevin fills you in on Hunting Season, Part II

We've been experiencing unseasonably warm weather here in Minnesota - all over the state.  I have many things to do out in the garden still but haven't taken advantage of the nice temperatures like I really should be on the weekends. Seems like I keep finding indoor things that have to get done too.   I did get out for a little while on Friday and today to putter a bit - pulled some plants, picked the dried black bean pods off their support and took down the other pole bean trellis.  I also found some brocolli so we'll have that to eat this week -  in November!

I just love my rustic re-bar tuteur, I think it looks just great even half covered with dried vegetation 
Sometimes dreams do come true.  Lily has accomplished her life's ambition to become a housecat and is making herself right at home!

Speaking of cats, I let the chickens out to roam on the weekends when I am around -I threw them some squash innards and look who else decided they were tasty!


"One of these things is not like the others...."  Roye is always an opportunist when there is something to dine on.
 Now for Kevin's part

The second weekend of hunting has come to an end.  There were only 6 hunters this weekend and 1 more deer added to the freezer.  We now have 8 deer for a total of 12 hunters.  It was real quiet again this weekend, only a hand full of shots.  Not sure if its the warm weather or are people so busy they only hunt opening weekend any more.  The turkeys were still around, the group of 34 hens have visited everyone in their stands this weekend, plus a group of 6 toms showed up in the sunflower field and wandered around a bit.  Going to have to start turkey hunting!  Did get a picture of the bald eagle that visited me.



And I am going to end tonight with a story of what I deal with every deer season.  This year both Dad (Rollie) and Kori had anterless tags.  The week before deer season Dad kept saying "I'm only shooting a buck opening weekend", then Friday its "well if its a nice doe".  Saturday morning comes and a fawn comes smoking past his stand and can he just let it go, OH no, has to take a shot.  But Dad and his 308 have a love/hate relationship and he missed.  So home he goes, gets the 30-30 with open sites, a gun that is much older than I am, and the next night shoots a buck about 70 yards away with open sites.  I wish I could shoot like that.  It always amazes me. 

I told Kori that opening weekend she could only shoot a doe.  Saturday night comes and boom, she shoots.  Oh the text I got said it for sure had no antlers, but that was all.  Just like her Grandpa, she just can't let them go by, even if they are kind of small.  Grandfather/Granddaughter genes run deep.  And of course, it wasn't an easy shot; today when we came out of the woods, Dad asked where the deer was when Kori shot it and I showed him.  His comment, "that was a long shot".  Yep, they are way too much alike when it comes to deer hunting.

Will let you know next weekend how the entire season ends.  Be well friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment