Sunday, November 26, 2017

Post-Thanksgiving Post

Another Thanksgiving is behind us, another four day weekend almost over. Kevin has chained himself to the kitchen table to catch up on book work, so I have joined him there for a farm update post.

The goats haven't had a mention here in the blog for a while.  Ranger and Forest moved in with the does a couple of days before Halloween, so almost a month ago.  The sparks were flying right away for Ranger and Vinca and I will expect kids to be born right around the last couple of days of March.  Echo??  Haven't seen much going on there.  You may recall that Echo did not get pregnant last year but did the year before.  We are really hoping things work out for her this time. 
We have some new residents in the chicken yard.  I was asked if I would take in three hens, all that was left of a small flock.  Although I select my hens for production, not looks, I cannot help but admired these pretty ladies.  One is a Speckled Sussex, another an Ameraucana, and the third is a Red Star. 
 The photo above is Speckles, and you can see the Ameraucana to her right.  She came with a name that I do not recall, so now she is Rocky.

Mickey is getting on in years and the cold weather is pretty tough for him.  Like many elderly gentlemen, he also needs to "go" frequently.  We felt the need for a better winter solution for him than being in the dog yard during the day with just dog houses for shelter, so we are keeping the dogs in the heated shop with a dog door.  When we have tried this in the past all of our makeshift door coverings, mostly heavy rugs, were destroyed in short order. Mickey himself was the main culprit at that time, but he was a much younger and stronger dog then with sharper teeth.  So far he has left the rug alone this time and a commercial dog door has been ordered.  Hoover doesn't seem to mind the cold at all but where Mickey goes, so does he.

Now that things have slowed down a little here on the farm, I will be reducing my posts to every couple of weeks or so, or at least once a month until spring.  I hope you will still stop back now and then to see what is up here at Ole Lake Farm.  Until next time, enjoy your week(s) and and be well friends.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about slowing down. I don't have as many farm animals,but it feels strange to have more time and be indoors more often. I try to get outside when the sun is out though. I think I may can a few jams and start on some Christmas baking early. I do have a craft sale to prepare for first. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete