Sunday, May 20, 2018

Welcome Pigs!


What a morning!

I include a view from the milking stand frequently in this blog; I hope it’ not too boring for you but I love it.  Every day is different, and today at 6:15 it was especially beautiful to me and just filled me up with positive emotions – joy and contentedness; knowledge that right here, right now – this is the place I need to be.  (That's Echo's tail there in the corner - I really was milking at the time!)

This morning was a wee bit chilly – 31 degrees.  I apologized to the does when I put my icy fingers on their warm udders, but they did not seem to mind.  

An update from the Winter Coop.  Mama Hen has lost one of her three chicks.  It just vanished – I have no clue what happened to it.  It may have just died and been buried in the bedding. We removed the brooder ring that contained the older chicks.  Mama Hen got a little crazy and started attacking the poor things so she and her two little ones were moved over to the bigger room which they now share with the tom and non-setting hen turkeys, and the broody hen.   She is constantly digging in the bedding – today she went all around the walls.  The problem is she keep burying the water container!
The "big" chicks are getting to that awkward looking stage.
 
Kids will be kids - and they have no awkward stage!

Today we picked up our new feeder pigs.  There are seven of them but I think you can only see six in the photo.  They are pretty skittish about us at the moment – their first night away from their former home but they’ll soon be friendlier.




I spent quite a bit of time trying to win back some of the garden from the wilderness it had become last summer and fall.  Roye kept me company some of the time. Now if she will just take care of that darn gopher!
We will be having a very busy week as we get ready for the first Farmer’s Market of the season.  I’ll let you know how it goes next week.  Until then, be well friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment