Sunday, March 13, 2016

Muddy Weekend

This post is about mud, goats, and chickens. 

So, it's pretty muddy.  We've been enjoying unseasonably warm weather.  Between the snowmelt and frost coming out of the ground, there are some mucky, muddy places around here.  The guys are having to take a break from their woods work until the logging roads dry out a bit.

Carolyn is here this weekend and it is warm enough that she is staying in her camper.  Lily, who's main goal in life is to become a housecat, took advantage:



Yesterday, we (Carolyn and I) took a little field trip to the Anderson farm.  Our little bit of mud is but a pittance to what they have to deal with.  They are right on the Mississippi; the land is low, flat, and heavy.  And wet.  Very wet.  I was there to purchase a few hens, which I did, but the most fun part was the goats.

They have goats.



Lots of goats.

Do you see the dog in this picture?
                                     And that was just the one pen. 


I fell for this beautiful doe.  I wish I could have brought her home!


















We left with a crate of 6 beautiful hens (sadly, no goats) and upon arriving home they had multiplied into 6 beautiful hens plus 2 nice eggs.
Isn't she pretty?


The new hens have settled in nicely and one of them has been so kind as to show us that we had a couple of holes in the coop-yard fence. 

Our does are just waiting.  I reviewed the due dates and they still have a bit to go.  The absolute earliest we could possibly have kids is March 29.  I think Echo is due April 6.  I think Vinca is due about a week later. 
Echo's first baby bulge.  She doesn't look very excited, does she?

So, that's the update for this week.  Yeah Spring!!!

Be well friends.

1 comment:

  1. The babies might have the same birthday as me!
    Also Lily is lovely <3

    ReplyDelete