Sunday, September 15, 2019

Another Harvest and a Poultry Update

Today got off to a rocky start...  This year's stone crop was pretty slim.



Ha!  OK, I deserve those eye-rolls, but I just couldn't pass up the pun.  We don't have many stones in our fields, thank goodness.  Just a few in the far southwest of the property.  Every year there are a few to pick up. 

I am sure you want to know about Penelope and the poults - right?  We had such a cold and wet week, I was very worried about these little ones.  I got a good head count this morning and there are 11 of them.  So she has lost 2 or 3 but considering the weather, I think that is pretty good.  If these were hatched in the incubator I would have them in the coop with the heater on up to 80 degrees.  With their mama they've been running around in 58 degree rain, then she warms them up.


We have a new rooster.  We've been without one for a while, other than the cockerels who hatched last spring.  Those lads (there are 8 of them) have a date with the butcher next week.  On Monday I picked up a fine Buckeye rooster from farmer friend Joe.  On Tuesday morning I opened up the coop to find him dead on the floor.  Uh Joe??  Wednesday I picked up his replacement on my way home from work.  So far, so good - meet Rafael!
The hens and Rafael are penned up in the coop yard right for the time being.  I wanted to see if we would get more eggs but we aren't. 

There is more going on around here but I didn't get a lot of photos this week.  That is it for this evening then - thanks for stopping by the blog.  Until next time, be well friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment