Sunday, September 18, 2016

Feeling Fall

This is one of those evenings when morning sure seems like a long time ago.  Is this what aging is about?

Autumn is happening whether we are ready for it or not.  Kevin is ready I think.  When we go out to do chores in them morning and the air is still and cold and the stars still shining brightly overhead, there is an extra spring to his step.  I know why.  Hunting season is coming.  Another sign of this is that whenever he runs into a like-minded acquaintance, the conversation quickly turns to deer.  Where have they been seen? How many? How big (or small)? What time of day - what they were doing -  what they were eating, what their IQ is... and so on.

Here in the farmyard, the turkeys just keep getting bigger and more beautiful.  The pullets are also very handsome; I couldn't be more pleased with how this years' hatch turned out.  There are more of them than I thought too.  For some reason, I had it in my head that I had 31 chicks hatched.  11 cockerels have gone to the freezer.  Two fellows are left but not for long.  That would leave 18 pullets, right?  Well, we caught them all last evening and gave them identifying ankle bracelets, and there were 20.  I had to go back in the blog to check, and yep, there were 33 chicks, not 31.  So 20 pullets and 13 cockerels. Outstanding!

Enjoying some watermelon rinds

And the turkeys join in on the snacks

Out in the goat area, there is a lot of flirting going on. 

We've had one frost so far, but it was a pretty light one. I was able to harvest a few more tomatoes to add to some I purchased so a little more sauce is going into the freezer tonight. It hasn't been a stellar garden year, but that is how the garden goes.

This week will be the big scout pumpkin harvest.  It looks pretty good out there but won't know for sure until the kids bring them out of the field.  I'll let you know next week.  Until then, be well folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment