Sunday, September 25, 2016

Harvest Haul

I had originally planned this post to be about goat containment, as we have had some challenges this week keeping the lads where they belong.  Change of plans - I'll get back to that another day...

Monday the scouts were out to harvest the pumpkins.  It was a bit more difficult this year because with only one light frost so far, the vines have not died down.  It is always hard to estimate ahead of time how many pumpkins to expect, although I thought the field was looking good.  Kevin says they picked 400 pumpkins this year - very good!  I really wanted to get pictures but the families packed them into their cars, trucks, vans, and trailers so quickly that I didn't have a chance. 

Our own squash and pumpkins did well this year too.

4 kinds of squash and an ample supply of pie pumpkins
I dug the carrots today, and picked some of the last melons, cauliflower, and tomatoes.  There may be some more, but the garden is mostly done now so I opened up the fence so the hens can go in and glean.  I sure hope they eat all the cherry tomatoes that are on the ground in there or there will be thousands of volunteer plants next year.

I am especially  pleased with the carrots - they don't always do well for me.
Yesterday (Saturday) was the last farmers' market that we plan to vend at this year.  Some of the other farmer folks will continue, but I am ready to be done.  It's gone fairly well for us and has been an interesting experience, but it sure does eat up a lot of time. 

That's about all I have for this week.  Until next time, be well folks. 





No comments:

Post a Comment