Sunday, August 13, 2017

Another Chilly August Day...

The calendar tells us that it is mid-August.  Our high temp today was 62 degrees.  Just doesn't seem right.

I just have a bunch of random thoughts this evening and am not even sure where to begin.  You might be wondering how the pigs are doing - I'll say not that great.  At least none of them died this week but their condition and lack-luster appetite is concerning.

In the coops, the turkeys are routinely putting themselves outside of the fence and then calling until I trot out to open the gate so they can go back in.  I'm getting pretty well trained. 

The pumpkin patch is looking pretty good.  I tried to get some pictures out there of the blossoms and one of the bigger pumpkins but they are just not blog worthy, sorry about that - so you get these:

Cheese - Kurt and I made this farmhouse cheddar around the end of October and it has been aging in the wine fridge since then.  The flavor is good - quite sharp, but the texture is on the dry side.  It does not melt like a store-bought cheddar does so it wasn't a hit in Kurt's omelet. I am really enjoying crumbling it up on my salads and I think it would be good in a pasta salad, so may give that a try.

Spot - She has a talent for finding the sunniest place to nap - here on the dusty backside of the baler.
Ok, just noticed the wrapper on the baling twine next to her ... that makes me giggle a little - wonder what she is dreaming about?

Hoover - He likes to hang out as close to me as he can, so that means he is frequently underfoot in the kitchen.  You might think this was just a momentary pose but I believe he was sleeping when I took this one.  The kitchen floor was recently redone in painted plywood (thank you Rollie!).  That is working out okay so far although I do intend to put another coat on at some point - this winter maybe?
Sunflowers - behind the house they are really blooming - just beautiful.  I took 2 pails of them to the farmer's market yesterday to sell by the stem and they sold out by 10:30.  I will take more next week and hope they go well again.
With that, I will wish you a fine evening.  Be well friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment