Sunday, August 27, 2017

More Fowl Things - weather and turkeys

We sure have had the rain lately!  Following  a very soggy and dismal farmer's market, yesterday afternon the Greater Mille Lacs Chapter of the Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota had our first Farm2Families event.  And it rained some more.  We put up canopies, cut back on the activities some (no hayrides), had our speakers and meal as planned and it was all fine.  Just not as many people attended as we would like, but considering the rain it was good.  I didn't take many pictures but did have my sister Carolyn take this fun picture of some of us members posing with our photo board.  My relatives who see this post will recognize cousin Mathew Nix there in the front.  I claimed the goat of course.

 Wandering turkeys continue :

There are lots of mushrooms around -due to the damp conditions I suppose.  I find them so interesting - this leathery looking one was in the yard.

And this is not a mushroom at all.  It's Monotropa Uniflora - also called ghost pipe or indian pipe.  It's a plant that doesn't have chlorophyll, sort  of rare I guess.  I wouldn't know anything about it but I saw it just the other day on facebook.
In garden news, even though it's a mess, the jungle is producing quite a few tomatoes!  I will be making sauce this week I think, and I am looking forward to a good melon harvest.

Be well folks, I'll be back next week.



1 comment:

  1. Ha, I have a jungle too. I just canned sauce, and ketchup. My kitchen will be super busy this week.

    ReplyDelete