Monday, July 1, 2019

July 1, holiday week

Well, you may have noticed there wasn't a post last week.although I normally have a new one weekly at this time of year.

I have a good excuse. I was sick.

It  began with some sore muscles on Saturday (the 22nd) that had no reason to be sore.  Then on Sunday, fatigue, head ache, more soreness  and the beginning of the fever and joint pain.  I wasn't too bad that morning when I had a visit from a nice fellow by the name of Riley Nelson.  He was here to interview me for  a video he is making for Sprout - that's the organization that puts on the market that we vend at in the fall/winter. When that video is done and available I will be sure to let you know.  

 He takes a pretty good selfie, but then he is a professional!

Anyway, things went downhill from there and by afternoon I knew I was sick and had a pretty good idea what it was - one of those tick things. A visit to the clinic on Monday and an antibiotic, lots of rest and by Friday I was pretty much back to normal.  Blood work isn't back yet so don't know which nasty I have.

We have aquired some big piles of woodchips that will be moving into the garden to cover up all that black plastic.  It's pretty slow going, especially having been sick, but it'll get done (and thank you Jan H for sharing your woodchip pile!)



Tuesday was a pretty big day around here too, although I missed out on it.  Two staff persons of Senator Tina Smith's were in the area visiting farms and our place was one of their stops.  I hear that Kevin did a nice job of giving them a  tour and explaining what he is doing to promote soil health.

A turkey update - Peanut's poults are really growing.  Our other turkey hen, Penelope seems to be setting again; hopefully there will be a better outcome for her this time.

Three days of views from the milking stand - Friday - pre-hay cutting.  Do you see the little white specks out there?


How about now?



That's Peanut and her flock.

Saturday morning - the hay has been cut.

Sunday morning - the hay is in the barn.  Not as much as we had hoped for, but there should be a second cutting this fall.


A couple of random pictures here - took this one along the highway on my way to work Friday morning.  I have a very pretty drive and I mostly enjoy it but must be vigilant at all times for deer. Can you see all three fawns?


And this one son Kurt took out the window - those hens always seem to think I have a treat for them - spoiled!
I'll close here with a wheat update.  It's looking good -  tall, chest high on Kevin. 

Enjoy the holiday, celebrate our fine nation's independence safely, and be well friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment