Sunday, July 21, 2019

Vacation ??? Week

This week was much different than our normal routine.  Kevin and Kurt took time off from their jobs and went to camp with the scouts.  I took time off from my town job too but just stayed home and worked here.

They swatted bugs, slept in tents, tubed down the river, and had campfires.  I rendered lard, made soap and lotion, then made more soap and more lotion.  I did get over to my cousin's place - Righteous Oaks Farm and harvested some calendula flowers.  At home, I dehydrated them.

Before: 
 
After:


At some point I plan to infuse some oil with them and make a batch of soap. 

Here is an updated view from the milking stand - the Turkey Red winter wheat is ripening but is not yet ready to harvest.


This evening we checked the rest of the grain.  This is the spring wheat which is planted in a field just down the road that is rented from a neighbor.  It's looking pretty good.

And this is the barley - not looking that great - this is also in a rented field, a different neighbor but near by.

 This is what those grains look like close up.  Barley on the left, the spring wheat on the right.

The buckwheat is blooming like crazy - the bees love it!

I will finish up this post with the turkeys - they are growing quickly and are much less shy.  They tend to stick together and stay close around the house and out-buildings now.  We thought there would be a second batch of poults, but something has taken all of Penelope's eggs and she has rejoined the flock.

That's it for this evening friends.  I should be back next week - until then, be well.

2 comments:

  1. I grow calendula. I make the oil for lip balm and for body lotion. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - this will be for soap but maybe I will explore other uses then. I really don't know a whole lot about it yet. Thanks!

      Delete