Monday, June 22, 2020

Post Father's Day Post

If you read last week's post, I hope that you did not get the impression that the murderous dog had killed our whole flock - thank goodness it was far from that.  Since I was home and caught it in the act, only four chickens were killed: two hens and two of the older chicks.  Mama Hen II was missing and I was afraid she was gone although I knew she was not one of the dead hens we found.  We put on a heat lamp for her little ones and after two nights like that she showed up and resumed her duties.



The flock was really scattered and scared - it took a few days for them to settle down - it was difficult for me when they ran away from me instead of running to me.  In that respect the flock is back to normal.  We are getting many fewer eggs, and Rafael has just started crowing again.  It was altogether a traumatic experience all around. 

The summer rolls along - haying season has begun with the cutting and baling of one little field.  The hay there was pretty sparse but it needed to be cut.  Son Kurt was working so it was looking like I might have to help but I got a reprieve when Ardis came to my rescue and drove the tractor and baler. 

Rollie raked.

Ardis and Kevin baled.

The roses at the garden corner are just wonderful again this year, and so far, no bugs!

Yesterday (Sunday) we had a funny little thunderstorm - what they call an isolated storm I guess - we are the blue dot.  It didn't last long - we could really use a good all day soaker.


Yesterday Kevin celebrated Father's Day by bringing home his new (to him) tractor.  It's not green...

It's not red...

It's not blue...

It's not orange...

It's Big White!

I will close with a little pig happiness.  I made a mud-hole for the pigs today - it wasn't especially hot but they certainly enjoyed it anyway!

Until next time, be well and be safe friends.

1 comment:

  1. So glad Mama hen came back. Love the photo with the pigs have fun in the water hole.

    ReplyDelete