Sunday, July 31, 2016

Good-bye July!

Let me get the complaining out of the way first.  The mosquitoes are INSANE this year!  And it's not just me that is saying so.  I have heard more than one person say that this is the worst year for mosquitoes that they can remember - I of course, try to avoid saying such things since my memory is so bad.  Anyway, mosquitoes have replaced the weather as the number one topic of conversation in these parts.  It doesn't matter the time of day, sunny or cloudy, they are equal opportunity irritants.  Picking raspberries has become quite an adventure in blood-letting.  I have run across some really mammoth toads around too - I'm thinking they are fattening up on the skeeters!

The garden at our place is getting busy - beans and sugar snap peas a-plenty, a few tomatoes, zucchini of course!  Unfortunately, the weeds and bugs - potato bugs, cabbage butterfly caterpillars, etc. are getting busy too.

Kevin and Rollie have gotten the rye harvested and today the straw was baled up.  We have a small patch of hull-less oats and Rollie first swathed, then combined that too.

How many of you blog readers have been in this position?
Next up, the oats - you can see what a beautiful day we had today!
Rollie - the Swath Master!
 Even though I feed them, the little turkeys view me as a threat... I've never had turkeys before but have to assume this is normal turkey behavior.  Anyway, they are hard to photograph because whenever I am near they just keep running back and forth.  I wish I had an hour to just sit with them but I do not.  Anyway, the skeeters would suck me dry if I sat still for an hour anyway.  I did manage to get a less-than-lovely picture of them today- they have grown so much in such a short time.  And you can see the little black dots on their backs now.
Running from the scary farmer!
So that is all I have this week.  Stop by next week to find out what is new on the farm.
Be well.






2 comments:

  1. We've been roofing each evening after work and I have to say I hate those blood sucking bugs. Ugh! And I have been on both sides of that hey wagon. Not missing that part of farming at all.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been roofing each evening after work and I have to say I hate those blood sucking bugs. Ugh! And I have been on both sides of that hey wagon. Not missing that part of farming at all.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete