Sunday, September 3, 2017

Mystery Bird

So, do you know how long our country has celebrated Labor Day?  Since 1894!

I will get right to the the topic referred to in the title of this post - we have a a bird here that does not belong.

About two weeks ago Kurt added a board to the top of the wire fence to assist the turkeys to get back into the coopyard - saving me from having to run out and open the gate for them.  I think it was the next day that Kevin mentioned that one of my young birds was out - we assumed he had flown up to the board and then jumped out.  I saw no sign of him and when darkness came and we closed up the coop, there was no bird huddled up next to the building or near the gate.  We figured it had gotten it's self in and thought no more of it.  A week passed, and one morning I heard crowing in the woods to the north.  We don't have neighbors close by who have chickens, and of course I was curious.  I went out there  and caught a glimpse of what I took to be one of my own young cockerels who took off at first sight of me.  No way would we ever be able to catch that bird!

This story is getting kind of lengthy, but I am getting there.  The next morning, when I went out to the Summer Coop where Julio and the mature hens live, there he was, on the window sill, pressed against the hardware cloth covering like he would very much like to be in there.  This was 5:30 in the morning so it was dark and he was pretty much blinded by my headlamp.  I took him down to the Winter Coop and put him in with the other youngsters.  I thought he looked a little different, but I had to get to work.  At afternoon choretime, the sunlight revealed a handsome fellow, but definitely not one of my birds! Very odd - we have no idea where he came from.  Do you suppose people drop off unwanted birds in the country like they do with kittens?  Makes me mad - although that is how we acquired Roye.

So, here he is (the one on the right):

Hard to believe these are the same birds that hatched this spring! 

Can you stand any more pictures of the turkeys? 


Our house is a split level and the framing there is to run a rain-gutter away from a lower roof so it doesn't come down right in front of the front door.  That is our bedroom window up there - Sure hope she doesn't think that is a good place to spend the night?

We had a good day at the Farmer's Market yesterday.  We have been bringing sunflowers - people really like them.  
 Couldn't resist having a little fun though...

We have completed the grain harvest. Kevin reports a good yield of oats and spring wheat.  Next he will be planting winter wheat and rye - next weekend's work.  With the grain comes straw to be baled.  The folks are always so helpful - here Ardis drove the tractor and baler.  She hasn't done this for many years but you wouldn't know it - she did such an awesome job of it!
The view from the milking stand was hazy this afternoon.  That brown area was in oats and is prepared to be replanted. 
Iron Man has come to Ole Lake Farm!  I call him Pete though.  An all metal scarecrow made by metal artist Mathew Hurd - he will last a lifetime!

Enjoy your Labor Day everyone, please be safe.  Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment