Sunday, June 3, 2018

Chicks!

Greetings all!

I have not mentioned the farmer's market much in this blog yet this season, but we now have two weekends behind us already.  The first was HOT and the second was cold, windy, and rainy. 

Returning home yesterday, I went down to the coop to check on the progress of Broody Mama Hen II.  This is what I was greeted with:


She only had three chicks so far.  When all were done hatching, she ended up with eight new youngsters.  I moved them down to the floor, but there was a conflict with Mama Hen I so this hen is with her chicks in a roomy cage for a few days until the chicks are less delicate.
















Mama Hen I takes her little ones outside now.  Amazing the size difference!

Meanwhile in the house, turkey poults began hatching in the incubator on Saturday morning.  As of right now there are six, but there may be more hatching.  For now they are housed in "Kori's Room" - still called that even though she hasn't lived here for a few years!

Last week the big news was that Penelope and Peanut had hatch three poults.  That number changed and they ended up with six in all.  They are co-parenting the little ones - the problem is they are taking them pretty far afield - too far for my comfort level.  Last night they spend the night out in the grain field.  This evening, I have no idea where they are and am hoping for the best.

Love my birds! 

Until next time, be well friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment