Sunday, June 17, 2018

Penelope Comes Home (for a while)

Happy Father's Day - and a special shout out to Kevin and Rollie, two of the best guys I know!

We have had a very, very soggy weekend, enough with the rain Mother Nature!

In a past post, I shared that Penelope and Peanut took their poults and moved out to the fields.  This past week I have only seen them about once a day, usually in the  morning. This morning, I was delighted to see Penelope in the back yard with the poults, but sadly Peanut was not with them.

They headed back out to the long grass beyond the barnyard, and when I got out there later in the morning, this is all I could see of them.  Can you see the turkey in this picture?
 Then I got a little closer - yep, all four chicks are there.

Later still, Penelope brought the little ones up to the coop.  Did you know that little turkeys ride on their mom's back?
The poults got their first taste of store-bought food and I herded them into the coop yard and closed the gate.  Got ya!  We knew Penelope could fly out but also knew the chicks could not (yet) so she would not go far without them. I felt so much better knowing they were safely fenced in.

Well, Penelope had other ideas. I don't know how she did it but they are all out again and settled down in the long grass beyond the barnyard again for the night.

Turkeys do what turkeys want to do.

Here are some other poultry pics from this weekend.  First, Mama Hen II with some of her chicks:
And Mama Hen III who is hiding her just hatched chicks from view - I believe there are six.

And the other turkey poults, the ones from the incubator. 

I think I said I would get a pig picture in this week - Kevin moved them to new ground this morning - hog heaven!

We visited a couple of the grain fields this evening.  Here is Kevin in the wheat (yes, outstanding in his field!).
 And then in the rye.

The rye was planted with the no-till planter with clover - Kevin's pretty happy with how this is going.


That's a lot for this post - see you next week, and until then, be well friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment