Sunday, July 1, 2018

Mid Summer Highs and Lows

What a week we have had - weather-wise I mean.

I try not to talk too much about the weather in my blog posts, but really have to sometimes - it's what is happening around us and influences our lives like nothing else.  The weather is the first thing we want to know about in the morning, and the last thing we look at before bed.

This week we had one day that didn't even make it to 70 degrees (Tuesday) followed up by some oppressive heat and humidity -Friday was the worst.  Kevin vended on Friday at a new market that is just down the road from us in Glen - and it was pretty uncomfortable.  I had better weather yesterday at the Aitkin Farmer's Market.

In the continuing chronicle of Penelope and the poults, the latest thing is that she is bringing the kids up to the house for a bite to eat pretty much daily.  I'd be happier if she would just hang out in the yard area but have to be content with that.

Turkey behavior is still mostly a mystery to me.  Tom has been sulking - he has made himself a nest of sorts and just sits around most of the day.  He did gobble today - he hadn't done that for a while that I have heard.  I also noticed that he has lost pretty much all of his tail feathers - so I am sort of concluding that he is molting and maybe that is why he is sulking. 

Dolly and Polly are not usually seen together - they used to be inseparable.  One of them (Polly?) I rarely see, mainly just first thing in the morning so I am speculating that she might be setting although that could be wishful thinking.  The other (Dolly?) has taken to flying to the coop roof now and then... enjoying the view maybe?

As he has the past few summers Kevin moves the lads' shelter and portable fencing to fresh ground about once a week.  Currently, a flow-box wagon is included in their little paddock so Ranger did not miss the chance to jump in for a  little peek-a-boo (there is no tailgate). 


I will conclude by wishing you all a safe and happy Independence Day.  Be careful out there on the highway and lakes, and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment