Saturday, June 14, 2014

Just ordinary things



It’s been unseasonably cool this week, and somewhat rainy, which is what it is again today.  One morning it was only 39 degrees when we got up!  While this is great for giving us a respite from the ‘skeeters (only until it gets up to 50 degrees or so), it’s not so great for the garden.  The tomatoes and melons are looking downright sulky.  I don’t have too high of expectations for this year’s garden crop.

The six new chicks are doing just fine under the watchful eye of Mama Blue.   With the exception of the little family, and the other two broody hens, the rest of the hens moved last evening to rejoin Javier and the breeding flock at the summer coop.

So, nothing too exciting here, just everyday life.  I decided to share this photo with you.


This is the view from my milking stand.  This is what I look out at twice each day, and each time I do it is a different scene that I never tire of.  The view is across the pasture, then beyond that the field that is now green with young oats.  Then the woods.  Every day is a different experience.  Some days, there may be a horse or two, or a deer or two, or more.  The color of the sky, the endless shades of green in the field and woods; it’s new every day.  Later this summer the greens will give way to less vibrant, but no less rich colors. 

Some folks might look at that and see an ordinary scene from an ordinary place.  I see my home, and I am grateful to live here.

I must mention the fence, those white bands out there.  Kevin just put the fence back up this morning.  Again.  The white strands are new; maybe the deer will pay a little more attention.  We can only hope.

So, that's today, Saturday, June 14, 2014.  Just an ordinary day, in a very special place.


No comments:

Post a Comment